I have to admit I am not a great fan of the School of Austrian Economic thought, as it is often muddled and behavior based jibberish, but when someone hits the nail on the head, I give credit where credit is due. This article nails the current situation on the head.
Sometimes, when chasing the bouncing ball of fraud and corruption on a daily basis, it is easy to lose sight of the forest for the millions of trees (all of which have a 150% LTV fourth-lien on them, underwritten by Goldman Sachs, which is short the shrubbery tranche). Luckily, Charles Hugh Smith, of oftwominds.com has taken the time to put it all into such simple and compelling terms, even corrupt North Carolina congressmen will not have the chance to plead stupidity after reading this.
Of course, to those familiar with the work of Austrian economists, none of this will come as a surprise.
1. Enable trillions of dollars in mortgages guaranteed to default by packaging unlimited quantities of them into mortgage-backed securities (MBS), creating umlimited demand for fraudulently originated loans.
2. Sell these MBS as “safe” to credulous investors, institutions, town councils in Norway, etc., i.e. “the bezzle” on a global scale.
3. Make huge “side bets” against these doomed mortgages so when they default then the short-side bets generate billions in profits.
4. Leverage each $1 of actual capital into $100 of high-risk bets.
5. Hide the utterly fraudulent bets offshore and/or off-balance sheet (not that the regulators you had muzzled would have noticed anyway).
6. When the longside bets go bad, transfer hundreds of billions of dollars in Federal guarantees, bailouts and backstops into the private hands which made the risky bets, either via direct payments or via proxies like AIG. Enable these private Power Elites to borrow hundreds of billions more from the Treasury/Fed at zero interest.
7. Deposit these funds at the Federal Reserve, where they earn 3-4%. Reap billions in guaranteed income by borrowing Federal money for free and getting paid interest by the Fed.
8. As profits pile up, start buying boatloads of short-term U.S. Treasuries. Now the taxpayers who absorbed the trillions in private losses and who transferred trillions in subsidies, backstops, guarantees, bailouts and loans to private banks and corporations, are now paying interest on the Treasuries their own money purchased for the banks/corporations.
9. Slowly acquire trillions of dollars in Treasuries–not difficult to do as the Federal government is borrowing $1.5 trillion a year.
10. Stop buying Treasuries and dump a boatload onto the market, forcing interest rates to rise as supply of new T-Bills exceeds demand (at least temporarily). Repeat as necessary to double and then triple interest rates paid on Treasuries.
11. Buy hundreds of billions in long-term Treasuries at high rates of interest. As interest rates rise, interest payments dwarf all other Federal spending, forcing extreme cuts in all other government spending.
12. Enjoy the hundreds of billions of dollars in interest payments being paid by taxpayers on Treasuries that were purchased with their money but which are safely in private hands.
Charles’ conclusion does not need further commentary as it is absolutely spot on:
Since the Federal government could potentially inflate away these trillions in Treasuries, buy enough elected officials to force austerity so inflation remains tame. In essence, these private banks and corporations now own the revenue stream of the Federal government and its taxpayers. Neat con, and the marks will never understand how “saving our financial system” led to their servitude to the very interests they bailed out.
The circle is now complete: in “saving our financial system,” the public borrowed trillions and transferred the money to private Power Elites, who then buy the public debt with the money swindled out of the taxpayer. Then the taxpayers transfer more wealth every year to the Power Elites/Plutocracy in the form of interest on the Treasury debt. The Power Elites will own the debt that was taken on to bail them out of bad private bets: this is the culmination of privatized gains, socialized risk.
In effect, it’s a Third World/colonial scam on a gigantic scale: plunder the public treasury, then buy the debt which was borrowed and transferred to your pockets. You are buying the country with money you borrowed from its taxpayers. No despot could do better.
- Tricycle » Spanish soccer star Puyol takes keen interest in Buddhism
- Buy sell used cars to save money for your future! | Good Used Cars
- Mortgage Interest Rates-the Current Situation | financebis
- The Federal Observer » Biesada: Requiem for a Champion
- The Federal Observer » Ziabari: Who cares about the Iranian people?
- The Federal Observer » Ross: Allow Me To Explain My Recent Behavior
- The Federal Observer » Bresciani: Obama Courts Latino Votes at …
- Bad credit debt consolidation loan
- Shadow government « Mercury Rising 鳯女
- Words, Cultural Models and The Leaver Treasury
- Matthew Yglesias » Treasuries Bubble?
- Job! Money! Career!
- New Government Air Carrier Services Contract Saves Victoria Big …
- Federal Court Rules Against Toyota In Domain Case: Buy-A-Lexus.com …
- Gulf Crisis Exposes Failures of Centralized Power – Tenth …
- Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collection – - Sport News Top
- Sample Post With a Blockquote — Rootjam
- Mike Modano Drawing Inappropriately Insane Amount of Interest …
- Peoples Press Collective | Colorado Politics | Judge strikes down …
- Prince Rants and Raves About the Internet, iTunes and “Digital …